The Undeniable Roots




The grocery store was out of ginger root today. Usually ginger is a grocery item I can safely find in abundance, always filling up its designated area to capacity. On regular days, it seems like I am the only one stuffing my produce bag with four or five large roots. Ginger is an essential ingredient in Indian cooking. And those fond of the real Indian chai (tea) won't have it without a generous helping of ginger; it is known to fight colds and coughs and is supposed to bring warmth. I wasn’t surprised that today, with everyone guarding against COVID-19, the produce aisle which normally carries ginger was full of artichokes. If stores could be out of toilet paper, being out of ginger made way more sense. The sudden popularity of this root, which is such an integral part of my Indian roots, started me thinking of my roots.


In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, I sit here, about 7500 miles away, across most of the Atlantic ocean, Europe and the middle-east, concerned about my aging parents living in India. They are at a high risk. In my head, I am going through the CDC directives about hygiene, quarantine and social distancing. My worry actually goes down a notch, because I remind myself that my mom is the CDC and my dad probably invented social distancing.

Though I wouldn’t call my mother a germaphobe, I could have safely called her the Center for Disease Control for our family. For her, hygiene didn't stop at hand-washing before meals. While being raised in India, we were constantly reminded of a perpetual microbe “war zone” outside of our home. The rules were more strict than the 20-second hand wash routines rampant in multitude of media stories now. Every time we returned home, street shoes had to stay out, street clothes changed into “home clothes”,  followed by a ritual of a hand-feet-face wash. If we visited anybody who was sick, we were asked to take a quick rinse or bath as well. And if we were sick, even a slight cough or cold, we were asked to not visit with the elderly or babies. These were rules on a regular basis. In my mind I would wonder, is all this really necessary? My mom also had very strict rules about not eating street food and not drinking “un-vetted” water. The foodie in me convinced my sensible side that eating street food made my immune system stronger. Being the rebel that I was, I took every opportunity to break her rules. Though today, when I sit here worrying about her, I am glad for her rules. I understand how her rules were meant to protect me, and they leave me with some semblance of peace of mind about her safety.

When I read motivational quotes about how Shakespeare and Isaac Newton produced some of their great work while in quarantine, it reminds me of my dad. All my life I have seen him breathe, eat, and live his work. So much so, that sometimes he has stayed away from social events of even the closest family members - though he has been sure to spread his warmth in many other ways. In the time of this pandemic, his natural tendency for “social distancing” brings some consolation about his safety.


As I write about my immediate family, there are many more stories about familial and cultural rules that have been passed on from generation to generation, sometimes being followed unquestionably in the name of tradition, other times explained using logic or science to questioning young minds, and yet other times dropped in favor of more convenient lifestyles. One Indian cultural tradition which has come to the forefront during the pandemic is the traditional greeting of Namaste with folded hands. In the western world, the greeting had somewhat spread earlier, but was limited to yoga studios. With the spread of the COVID-19, world leaders chose Namaste over the regular handshakes or hugs. Other cultural traditions gaining popularity are through Indian foods. There are foods that are meant to increase immunity, and ingredients such as black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg to drive away the chills. And talking about roots, turmeric milk, known for its antioxidant properties to build a stronger immune system, is becoming popular in the west. Beyond these, there are many more traditions that our folks have held on to, and are giving us the confidence that these may serve them well.

I folded my hands in a Namaste. It is also a way to offer prayer. In the world engulfed in a wave of the pandemic, the rebel in me turned into a believer with a prayer to protect all those who are vulnerable.

Turmeric latte Image credit : https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/golden-milk-latte

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Local Impact

The Flight of an Empty Nester

74th Indian Independence Day

Youth Junction

Age is just a Number

Eternal Love

Selecting a Selectman

Journey to the Faraway Land

The Festival of Lights