The Difficult Choice

The Difficult Choice : From Politics to ice-cream

I walked past Trumpland, the big chain store, which had a new flavor advertised on the window. “Go Bananas” with our “Monkey Chunky Banana” flavor! I had gone down that door once just to check it out. It was disappointing. They really only had one flavor - a rather murky looking Vanilla with an orange tint. Every week they introduced a new topping. Then they would go big on advertising and many people would swarm to it. 

I was loyal to the local store, DemCream, at the end of the street. They had a rich variety of flavors before, but since the chain store opened, it had been difficult for them to maintain their flavors. I could already taste my favorite flavor, “Kosher Koffee Delight”. It was an acquired taste, with its smooth blend of nuanced flavors. I could, of course, taste the coffee with its perfect blend of bitter and sweet. There was a hint of rock salt and just enough cinnamon. The almonds gave it enough texture to remind me of its richness. But what jolted me awake, was the random espresso bean, being crushed under my teeth! 

People complained that this flavor was somewhat overpriced. The owners explained it was because they made sure all the ingredients came straight from farmers, or from assured clean, green vendors, so to please be patient until that supply chain became mainstream. The little extra price in general was for the greater good. Moreover, the owners were working with some wealthy patrons to carry the price so more folks could enjoy the flavor. “Kosher Koffee Delight” became popular for a short time. Then at the request of some local patrons, the owners published the recipe, confident that the ice-cream could not be reproduced simply by looking at the recipe. Almost overnight the flavor lost its appeal - like it lost its magic or something. I was in it for the ice-cream’s richness, so I continued to go back for more.

Since the chain store opened, the local store had been making many changes. Last year it carried more than twenty-four flavors. The last time I visited they only carried five. They had very recently introduced a “Munificent Cotton Candy” flavor. They spent a lot of money on this flavor and tried to bring it with a big bang of advertising hoping to counter the competition from the big chain store. This ice-cream had some blue, some red, some purple. It looked nice and fluffy, but vanished with the first bite. It did not catch on. Then there was a “Luscious Butter Pecan” still as a choice. They probably made too much of it, and the flavor is out there for when it gains popularity. One of the most popular flavors is the “Double Dash Chocolate”. Young people love it. And if you are the right age, it is offered with special brownies. I try not to be critical about it in front of its regulars, as they don’t take kindly to any words of criticism. Luckily my favorite flavor “Kosher Koffee Delight”, was still being offered when I visited the last time.

During my last visit, it was a little disheartening to see a change by the local store to stay competitive with the other store. They were going towards a similar model of offering only Vanilla with toppings. Three of their popular and profitable flavors were recently discontinued, and were being offered instead as toppings to Vanilla. These were rather interesting flavors, “Zippy Dippy Rainbow”, “Comeback Strawberry”, “Nutty Goodness Pistachio”, which now made to the toppings counter as jimmies, chopped fruit, and assorted nuts. I could sort of see “Munificent Cotton Candy” turn into syrup on top of the Vanilla. The “Double Dash Chocolate” was popular enough that they would keep offering for some more time. 

I was a little anxious as I walked into the store today, and sure enough only the Chocolate and Vanilla were being offered. I was disappointed. Some of it was the thought of losing my favorite flavor that brought so much richness and optimism to my life. But more of it was the thought that when this store started off with so many interesting and rich flavors, they were down to a couple of standard picks. I was left wondering if it was the competition, or it was lack of support from the patrons, or if it was the store owners’ unwillingness to take risk, or a possible lack of creativity that drove us back to picking between Vanilla and possibly a  “Double Dash Chocolate”.

I left the store without making a choice. I was not ready yet to forget and write-off what had brought many nuanced flavors, all within that one ice-cream.I started looking again at the recipe that brought my favorite flavor down, and with a hope that it would be that same recipe that would bring the store back alive one day. When the time is right!

Note: Someone asked me about my decision to leave that day without buying. Shouldn't I have stayed and bought something to support the local store? I would definitely go back another day to support the store, with whatever they have to offer. After all, unless the store continues to be in business, there would never be a chance that my favorite flavor was ever coming back. But today was dedicated to my favorite!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Local Impact

The Flight of an Empty Nester

The Undeniable Roots

74th Indian Independence Day

Youth Junction

Age is just a Number

Eternal Love

Journey to the Faraway Land

Selecting a Selectman

The Festival of Lights